The Global, Environmental and Outdoor Education Council (GEOEC)
of the Alberta Teachers’ Association is exciting to bring a PD Event for all educators, enthusiasts and leaders in the field of Environmental and Outdoor Education.
Please join us for this amazing workshop weekend!
We have not one but TWO very exciting Ketnote Speakers Friday night!
Saturday we are offering over 5 different training workshops, PD Sessions and seminars for those that would like to capitalize on some amazing enrichment opportuninities!
Dont miss out on this one of kind Outdoor Education Event!
Friday, January 24th, 2020
Keynote Speaker: Ricky Forbes
For some people, exploring doesn’t just mean discovering a new patio or finding out
if the boss allows shorts at the office — it means getting dirty, risking some skin,
and pushing the limits. Ricky Forbes, is exactly that kind of guy.
Ricky is the driver for one of North America’s top professional storm chasing teams, star of the TV show Tornado Hunters, host of Woods Canada's Greatest Explorer and host on Much Music's 'Far and Wide'. Born and raised in Saskatchewan, Ricky directs his passion towards giving back to his community through many facets including his role as a Big Brother and helping to raise weather safety awareness to kids.
Keynote Speaker: Dax Justin
Contributor to Canadian Geographic
National Geographic Certified Educator
Helly Hansen Ambassador
Dax’s photos and stories are focused on connecting humans back to nature. Dax’s work lives at the intersection of humans and our natural ecosystems; as his photographic work is concerned with wildlife conservation, ecotourism, ocean health and human impact on the environment, the youth vs. technology, and indigenous culture.
Creator of the Explore in School (EiS) youth initiative and Smartphone Pro Mobile-Photo Workshop.
Saturday, January 25th, 2020
1) Outdoor Council of Canada – Overnight and Winter Module Training/Certification Course
(Saturday & Sunday)
* This course offers a systematic approach for planning and managing a winter based trip and over-night pursuits. The Course qualifies those to lead over-night trips and winter based trips. Two courses combined into one. (Please note there is a course fee of $200 for these two certifications)
2) Outdoor Education Gear Maintenance Tips & Tricks for Winter (Saturday)
3) Project Wild Training Workshop (Saturday)
4) Student Led Learning Activities, Teambuilding and more… (Saturday)
5) Environmental and Outdoor Education Resource Sharing (Saturday)
6) Company of Adventurers - Ski/Snowshoe - Activities for Educators (Saturday)
Global, Environmental & Outdoor Education Council (GEOEC)
Organizer of Solstice Series Part II: An Environmental and Outdoor Education Experience
The Global, Environmental & Outdoor Education Council (GEOEC) is an interdisciplinary specialist council of the Alberta Teachers’ Association. Our mission is to provide resources and venues for dialogue and networking, as well as to promote quality professional development for Alberta teachers in the areas of global, environmental and outdoor education. Members receive current news items, teaching ideas, information about our workshop series, and food for thought through our quarterly journal Connections.
We are also active on Facebook and Twitter, with up-to-date information on PD opportunities and initiatives in Alberta.